Robins have wings clipped

July 25, 2021

Selby Town 1 Pickering Town 5

Selby Town were outclassed in their friendly against Pickering Town. The Robins started Ryan Cooper at right back, with Reece Botterill switching to the other side. Ryan Gothard, and Tom Giblin returned to form a centre back partnership. The midfield was without Kain Rogerson, but the front three was as before, with the Liam Flanagan on the bench.

The pattern of the match was set very early with the visitors pressing Selby’s right back. Town were finding it difficult to pass, and keep the ball, resulting in long, often aimless punts. The Pikes, in contrast, moved the ball around crisply leaving Town players trailing in their wake.  Twice in quick succession Dylan Parkin was forced to deal with a pass behind the Selby back line. The second time required a well-timed tackle to keep Pickering at bay. It was only a matter of time before Pickering opened the scoring, and sure enough a good passing move down Selby’s right resulted in the ball being fed back to Lewis Taylor. Lurking outside the box, he had plenty of time to fire a low shot home.  The second Pickering goal arrived soon after. Again, it was a smart passing move down Selby’s right leaving plenty of time for a pinpoint cross from overlapping full back, Jake Watson, and a neat stooping header by Wayne Brooksby. 

Jonny Bruce, in charge, in place of the absent Christian Fox, tried freshening up the team by deploying substitutes. Unfortunately, the tide wasn’t turned, and Pickering remained comfortably in control.  An effort was ruled out for offside, and Town were lucky to escape as a one-on-one chance went begging after a mistake in the defence. The next goal was not long in coming though, as another slick passing move opened up the Selby defence, allowing Thomas Alngohoru to slide the ball past Parkin. 

At 0-3 down, half-time couldn’t come quickly enough for Town. More Selby substitutes were made for the start of the second half, including talisman Liam Flanagan. Again, the pattern of the match was not materially changed, with Pickering largely in control of proceedings, keeping the ball, and making the flagging Selby men toil.  Robin’s fans finally found something to cheer, with Flanagan providing the high point for the Selby supporters. He was greatly helped by substitute J P Vass, who played like he had a point to prove. JP pressed a Pickering midfielder, winning the ball, before taking on another defender. He then slipped a peach of a pass behind the defence for Flanagan to reach the ball just before the onrushing goalkeeper, and do what he does best. Unfortunately, the Town delight did not last long. Another sharp passing move played in a Pickering trialist. Parkin was able to beat out the point blank shot, but unfortunately the ball fell to another trialist who gave the goalkeeper no chance with the rebound.   The normal pattern of the match had quickly been restored. Pickering continued to create chances. 

Ollie Maud saw a yellow for his efforts, and, worryingly, more desperate defending left Giblin collapsed in his own penalty area. There was immediate concern, and referee Gareth Rhodes quickly waived the physios on from both teams. The player was able to hobble off with the support of a Pickering man, but, unfortunately, his knee injury could see him out for some time.  The Pikes ended the match as they began. Another fine passing move carved open the Town defence, playing in Lewis Taylor, who guided the ball past the helpless Parkin. 

The Robins were defeated by Pickering Town. Photo by Harvey Brewster. (22-07-204 SU)

Share this article