Davison regenerates Robins’ play-off tilt

March 16, 2022

Armthorpe Welfare 0 Selby Town 3

Returning to action off the back of a disappointing evening under the lights against league leaders, Hallam FC, the Robins sought to reignite themselves and initiate a strong finish to the season upon visiting Doncaster Outfit, Armthorpe Welfare at the Marra Falcons Stadium in a 3pm kick off. With the dreams of a play-off finish held in the balance, Town know full well that further points and momentum are at a premium heading into the final matches of the season. As for team news, Christian Fox made three changes to the starting XI that fell to a disappointing defeat at the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium against Hallam FC. Tommy Brown, Ryan Cooper and Cal Ward returned to the side in place of Jody Barford, Ryan Cooper and Charlie Clamp.

Ultimately, Town were left to bask in victory at the Marra Falcons Stadium after a composed and clinical performance on the day.  Despite the odd opportunity for both teams early on, it wasn’t until the later stages of the half that the game began to open up. Armthorpe thought they’d taken the lead shortly before the half hour mark - a perfectly weighted corner from the left found its man at the far post, yet the effort proved somewhat under par and flashed narrowly over the bar.  As per the nature of the first 45, Dan Davison found himself in the book shortly after.

Mere minutes later, the midfield maestro fired Town into the lead. After an initially decent attacking move from Town saw the Armthorpe defence fail to clear their lines with urgency and Davo’s desire drove forward to dispossess and slot home for the lead. The hosts thought they’d levelled the tie four minutes from time after rattling the bar with a thunderous strike. However, Town cleared and the final minutes ticked away with little effort. The opening stages of the second 45 saw the Robins produce a decent account of themselves as they meticulously went about sealing an important win. A smattering of opportunity came to the visitors to no avail, but the intensity was there that lacked in the first 45, goals were a certain. Town’s endeavours ultimately paid dividends as they scored seven minutes into the half - Ryan Cooper latched on to a ball in from the left. 

Town should have made it three a minute later - a lovely ball in from the right found Dan Davison in plenty of space, his effort proved less attractive, soaring over the bar from ten yards. Town’s extra gear continued as the half wore on, securing the lion’s share of opportunity on goal. The best of which came from Kain Rogerson and Liam Flanagan. Town soon made two substitutions in relatively quick succession - Harry Sheppard and Ryan Cooper paved the way for Chris Murray and Myles Lawman.  Liam Flanagan sealed the fixture for Town as the fixture reached 70 minutes. A mishap from Conner Trueman let in the Robins’ attacker whom simply had to pass it into an empty goal, thus sealing three points for the visitors. The moments thereafter witnessed a brilliant save from Tommy Brown and perhaps what should have been a fourth goal for Selby - a lovely passage of play culminated in an effort blasted over the bar from six yards. Ultimately the final moments witnessed Town managed their way to the final whistle and seal a much-needed win. 

Photo by Harvey Brewster.

Share this article